Thursday, September 4, 2008

We went to "empty orchestra" last night


LOL! You must be wondering where did we go to... it's karaoke lah. As I was thinking how to write this article, it dawned on me that I dun really understand how does the word karaoke comes about. I knew it has something to do with Japan, cos the word sound Japanese. So I checked up the wikipedia to find the meaning.

Karaoke (カラオケ, Karaoke from Japanese kara(空), "empty," and ōkesutora, "orchestra") (pronounced /kɑːrɑːˌoʊkɛ/; in Japanese IPA: [karaoke]; listen (help·info)) is a form of entertainment in which amateur singers sing along with recorded music (and/or a music video) using a microphone and public address system. The music is typically a well-known pop song in which the voice of the original singer is removed or reduced in volume. Lyrics are usually displayed on a video screen, along with a moving symbol or changing color and/or music video images, to guide the singer. In some countries, karaoke with video lyrics display capabilities is called KTV. It is very commonly pronounced /kæriːoʊkiː/, leading people to also incorrectly spell it "kareoke".
Anyway my colleagues and me had a great time at the karaoke, though none of us really sang very well. I'm especially croaky last night and sang out of tune most of the time. I would sound better if i have the professional singer voice in the background (honestly speaking, it is to cover my bad voice and out of tune singing... LOL!). My singing is only good in bathroom where there is no audience...

I think I getting hooked with karaoke now, in just a about 1 months time, I have been to karaoke for at least 3 times which is far better than the 4 times I been to karaoke for the past 7 years.

No comments: